Monday, February 19, 2007

Celebrate with Rochelle!

In keeping with our promise to celebrate all of our collective WOW moments - both large and small - here's a snippet from Rochelle Ritzi's life.

With just another year to go before earning her bachelor degree in Psychology from UTD, Rochelle began this semester with more than just a little apprehension.

She could sum it all up in one word:

STATISTICS.

The dreaded class that is the beginning of the end for so many students. During her first exam, she wondered what on earth made her think she could conquer this class.

But this past week something wondermous (new word, ladies!) happened. The lightbulb came on! And - with encouragement from her friends - Rochelle rewrote the lyrics to "I Can See Clearly Now."

After laughing so hard that I had to wipe my eyes, I'm copying and pasting the words to the song for your enjoyment. And the next time you pass Rochelle in the aisles at church, give her a big hug and celebrate this victory right along with her!

I Can See Clearly Now (rewritten, but sing to the orginal tune)

I can see clearly now statistics’ come,
I can draw all polygrams on my page,
Gone are the Z scores that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.

I think I can make it now I can pass this class,
Now that the standard deviations have reappeared,
Here’s the comprehension I've been praying for.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.

Look all around, nothing but bell curves.
But that is okay, I think I breathe again...

I can see clearly now the Z cutoff scores.
I can draw all histograms on my page.
Gone are the sample scores that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) exam day.

Congratulations, Rochelle! Keep up the good work - we know you can do it!

(Footnote: please let Staci know when there's more celebrating to do! We want to honor all of life's WOW moments to us.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! (No pun intended - okay a little pun intended!) I did not expect to see my face or (new) lyrics her. I about fell out of my chair! What a surprise! Thank you for sharing this with the ladies and for celebrating with me! I feel special! (However, I have a strong feeling that Brother Terry won't be asking me to do any song writing for the choir...)

Rochelle

~Denise said...

YAY, Rochelle!! YOU ROCK!!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful accomplishment!