Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ruth and Naomi, an Answered Prayer

by Joan Clayton, God Answers Moms' Prayers

I had been praying for my son Lane's mate since the day he was born. He and his girlfriend were at "outs" again. It seemed to me they disagreed about anything and everything. So when I heard about their engagement, I was a little apprehensive. I liked her well enough, but wondered if she were the right one for Lane.

Now that they were engaged, my daily prayer became, "Lord, if this isn't the girl for Lane, please send the right one."

During my prayer one night, I had a vision. With closed eyes I saw two girls. No mistake about it: the girl on the left was Lane's current betrothed. She appeared as a dark silhouette. The girl on the right was a blue-eyed, vivacious blond in living color with a smile that brought joy to my heart. This had never happened to me before and I thought I must be dreaming. I tucked it away in my mental file, but I thought about it a lot.

As the wedding of our son drew nearer, I became more apprehensive. I prayed for the Lord to intervene if this ws not the best for our son.

Two weeks before the wedding was to take place, Lane's fiancee called the whole thing off! I felt sorry for him, but in my heart I knew God had to be working. My prayers bombarded heaven for his peace and for the "right" one to come along.

Amidst the heartbreak of his breakup, he continued working on his college degree. Two years passed, and I prayed daily for Lane. With graduation near, Lane called to give us the time and details.

We talked of our pride in him as we drove the two hours to his campus. We arrived at his apartment, and he told us to wait while he went to pick up a friend he had invited. Twenty minutes later, our son walked in with a beautiful blue-eyed blond. I gasped when I saw her. She was the very same girl I had seen in my vision two years earlier. I could hardly contain myself, but kept my mouth closed for fear I would scare them both off.

Their friendship grew from May to November. Our son called us one day and said, "What are you doing November 19th? Would you like to go to a wedding?" The rest is history.

This blue-eyed, beautiful blond is everything the Lord showed me and more. Kari is the most wonderful wife and the mother of my two beautiful granddaughters. Our relationship reminds me of Ruth in the Bible and Ruth's mother-in-law, Naomi. So that is what we call each other, "Kari Ruth and Joan Naomi."

The Lord allowed me to see her in my prayer two years before I met her, and then answered my prayer by bringing her into our lives. I know where my Kari Ruth came from!

No comments: